*******SUMMER INTERNSHIP ********
Communications internship for someone who’s studying design, communications, marketing or a related field for Summer 2014
About the Bisexual Resource Center
Founded in 1985, the Bisexual Resource Center (BRC) advocates for bisexual visibility and raises awareness about bisexuality throughout the LGBT and straight communities. The Bisexual Resource Center envisions a world where love is celebrated, regardless of sexual orientation or gender expression. Because bisexuals today are still misunderstood, marginalized and discriminated against, the BRC is committed to providing support to the bisexual community and raising public awareness about bisexuality and bisexual people.
The Bi Women Quarterly, a grassroots publication, is undergoing a strategic overhaul. As the BRC Communications Intern, your work would be focused on this project. This offers a unique opportunity for you to take ownership of an entire strategic process, with guidance from Robyn Ochs, the editor of this publication. Such an endeavor would be an excellent addition to any portfolio and provide you with project management experience not usually found in recent graduates.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Creating a new layout and template for the 20-page publication in InDesign
- Designing an updated logo and/or masthead for the publication
- Giving recommendations for streamlining the editing and publication processes
- Generating and executing a strategic communications plan to increase brand recognition, circulation and audience for the publication
- Producing ads for print and web
- Upgrading our website to an indexed archive of articles to allow readers/researchers to search by author or theme
- Developing beneficial partnerships to further the reach of the publication
- Major in Design, Communications, Journalism, Marketing or related field
- Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop and WordPress
- Knowledge of print/web advertising strategies and specifications
- Experience with research, outreach and partnership development
- Expertise in social media channels
- A sense of humor, thirst for knowledge, willingness to learn, appreciation of diversity, passion for human rights, and desire to make a difference
- Previous experience working on a publication is a plus
- Previous experience writing and implementing a strategic communications plan is a plus
Time Frame: We are looking for a total time commitment of 200 hours between May and August. A stipend of $2000 will be paid. You do not need to live in Boston to work on this project, though if you do that would be lovely.
Please email your resume, cover letter and two relevant work samples (such as design products including logos, mastheads, layouts for publications or ads), to Robyn Ochs at email@example.com by Friday April 11 2014 at 5pm.